Barn Beauty Breakdown: Glossier
It's no secret that equestrians need beauty products that work just as hard as they do. Arena dirt, sweat, horse hair and who knows what else are typically unavoidable when you choose to spend all your available free time in a barn. While taking care of our skin sounds great in theory, we're also busy people with places to be and ponies to ride. Equestrians need skincare products that not only work hard, but are also simple, quick, and get the job done. We've taken the liberty of reviewing one of the hottest internet beauty brands out there: Glossier, to see how it stacks up against the demanding lifestyle of an amateur equestrian. Initial reactions: we really like what we see. Read on for our full review, product recommendations and even a discount code!
Demystifying makeup and skincare with this year’s hottest cool-girl beauty brand.
Brand background: Glossier was founded in 2014 by Into the Gloss founder Emily Weiss. Not only are we all about supporting fellow girl bosses, but this girl really knows her stuff. You could say that the brand is distilled from years of recommendations from the coolest skincare-savvy girls on the planet. From humble beginnings Glossier has grown to offer a curated range of simple skincare and makeup products perfect for customers who were all about that "no makeup" makeup trend (which we're totally on board with). The insta-famous brand has captured the hearts of beauty-lovers everywhere with its simple formulas and minimalist packaging with the self-described goal of “making you immediately look like the best version of yourself.”
Why we love it: Glossier breaks down complicated skincare regimens into easy-to-remember steps with easy to use products (that look super cute too!) Not only do their products take the guesswork out of your morning skincare routine, but they also actually WORK. You don’t have to track down expensive, exotic skincare products or spend 12 hours in front of the mirror every morning to obtain fresh, dewy skin. As any working amateur equestrian can tell you, ain't nobody got time for that! Glossier's highly-edited collection of pared-down essential beauty products reflects how you actually get ready every day—starting with your skin, then working our way up. With their "skincare first, makeup second" approach, achieving a glowy, 'no makeup' look takes minutes, not hours.
Our morning regimen: Every morning, whether you're getting up at 4am to feed or 6am to head to the office, should start with washing your face. This might seem like common knowledge to some, but as lazy girls and busy girls, we know we've skipped this step in favor of a few more minutes of sleep more times than we should admit to. Glossier's Milky Jelly Cleanser is a gentle gel wash that not only whisks away oil and grime, but is so easy on the skin you can even wash your eye area without worrying about blinding yourself. Goodbye yesterdays leftover mascara! This gentle cleanser doesn’t foam when you use it, so while you may not feel like you’re getting the same clean you would with a regular foaming cleanser, you skin is left feeling fresh and happy.
Follow the Milky Jelly Cleanser with the Priming Moisturizer for an overall glow, dewy look that never feels oily or greasy. The closest we can get to describing the feeling this moisturizer leaves on your skin is velvety - like a soft canvas ready for makeup. Our only critical observation is that neither of these products smell particularly indulgent. They don’t smell bad, but the Priming Moisturizer especially does have a slight chemical scent that quickly disappears when you rub it in.
If you’re feeling particularly indulgent, we recommend trying out Glossier’s trio of brand new serums - The Supers - before you moisturize. If you're a grown woman who can’t seem to wrap her head around the importance of facial serums, we assure you—you're not alone. Settling on one that's right for you skin type and its constantly changing needs is hard enough, and then there's all this business about layering multiple kinds as if you're just supposed to know exactly what combination is ideal and what’s a no-go. Glossier has decoded this skincare conundrum with The Supers, a trio of beautifully-packaged, super-concentrated serums that each address different skincare needs: Super Glow, Super Pure and Super Bounce.
- Super Glow: For when your skin feels dull after a jam-packed horse show weekend. Packed with brightening Vitamin C and revitalizing Magnesium, Super Glow helps even out skin tone and create a naturally-strobed complexion.
- Super Pure: You're stressed, breaking out, or just binged on horse show tacos. Skin-restoring niacinamide and calming zinc work together to soothe the skin while helping flush out impurities including buildup in the pores.
- Super Bounce: For when your skin is thirsty & tight because you’ve been racing all over the dusty showgrounds for the last 12 hours. Super Bounce uses hyaluronic acid and Vitamin B5 to wash the skin with moisture to give it its bounce back, while the milky texture softens the skin for silky-smooth texture.
We’re pretty sure we’ve fallen in love with all three of these beauties - asking us to pick a favorite would be like choosing between your barn children (clearly impossible). While the three serums each boast their own individual texture, overall they have a water-gel consistency that we love. They don't feel greasy and sink right into the skin, which makes for a much better canvas pre-foundation. They’re just the thing to bring your skin back to life after hectic horse show days or for when real life gets the better of you. It looks like the Super Pack of all three serums is sold out right now, but you can trust us when we say it’s seriously worth the wait.
Finish off your look and face the day with Glossiers polished - albeit limited - makeup collection. While you won't find overambitious eyeshadow pallettes, overly complicated lip kits and face-spackling foundation here, Glossier's thoughtful collection of makeup products caters to those who adhere to the 'no makeup' makeup trend. Allowing your actual skin to shine through while accentuating your favorite features is the name of the game, and our favorite makeup products from Glossier do just that.
- Perfecting Skin Tint: Somewhere between a BB cream and your traditional foundation, the Perfecting Skin Tint provides ultra-sheer velvety coverage that blurs imperfections while letting your actual skin shine through. Like all of Glossiers products the Perfecting Skin Tint is never greasy or oily, and plays nicely with all of their makeup and skincare products. The one downside is that this product does not have any SPF, so if you're sensitive to sun or are planning to ride outside AT ALL, you'll need to layer on your favorite sunscreen underneath. We recommend this one. It also does not contain any moisturizing ingredients on its own, so if you're not layering it over a multi-purpose sunscreen definitely combine it with that fabulous Priming Moisturizer we just mentioned. What it lacks in hydrating power it makes up for in a light-as-air feel and a natural, sheer coverage that stays put and photographs fabulously - no more melty face in your winners circle photos!
- Stretch Concealer: We're not joking when we say this particular product is magic in a jar. It goes on smooth, doesn't feel stiff, and completely melts into your skin so it's easy to blend and won't actually look like you're wearing concealer. It's also super buildable for those Sunday show mornings when your dark circles are extra prominent. Chock-full of hydrating goodness (cocoa butter and avocado and jojoba oil) and "elastic micro waxes", the Stretch Concealer gives you a natural, dewy finish that never looks cakey or flakey. Phew!
- Boy Brow: Total brow control never looked so effortless. You've probably seen the sponsored posts on your Facebook timeline claiming this is the eyebrow gel with a 10,000 person waitlist. We're not sure if that's true, but we can definitely see why everyone is clamoring to get their hands on these tiny tubes when the come back in stock. Taming those brows is as easy as a few quick strokes, and the hold lasts all day (through multiple rides, baths, and chasing a few loose horses - we try to test as thoroughly as possible).
- Generation G: While we don't usually wear lipstick to the barn, we'll make an exception Glossier's Generation G. More like a tinted balm, this matte lipstick goes on sheer and looks fun and flirty without really trying. If you're looking for a bit more drama you can layer on a few extra swipes and build the saturation to your liking. It doesn't have a lot of lasting power, so keep the lipstick in your pocket or purse if you're out and about or plan on chowing down at the show. As with any matte lipstick, exfoliating first to avoid clumps and chunks is a must - we recommend this pot of sugary goodness.
- Haloscope: The newest addition to Glossier's makeup offering, Haloscope is a swipe-on highlighter/bronzer that's a delight to use, especially for someone who has zero knowledge of how to contour (it's ok ladies, we're with you on this one). The outer halo of the stick is infused with "genuine crystal extracts" that truly does last all day, with a solid oil core of vitamin-rich moisturizers for a hydrated, dewy finish. While a highlighter may be a little much for your everyday barn makeup routine, it's one of our favorite things to apply before heading to the office in the morning. The wonderful thing is, Haloscope blends so easily and looks so natural it's tough to tell you're really wearing a highlighter at all. Your skin looks dewy, fresh and vibrant, even after your no stirrups lesson.
If all this talk of effortlessly dewy skin and light-as-air makeup that's kind to your face has got you going ga-ga over Glossier, you're not alone. We're all about the lazy girl approach to skincare - get it clean, keep it hydrated, dress it up and get out the door in as few steps as humanly possible. For those of you who have minimal time to spend putting your face together every morning but want to go from work to the barn and still look fabulous, Glossier has got you covered.
Looking to make your first purchase? We've got a coupon code for you! Glossier takes great care of it's customers with a fabulous referral program that's open to everyone. You can take a cool 20% off your first purchase by clicking the link below and shopping the site as usual. A little flag at the top of the page will let you know the discount will be applied when you check out - how sweet!
Stay tuned for the low down on more products from Glossier, including their all-new Black Tie Set fresh off the presses for Holiday 2016.